Do you have a passion for baby and parenting topics, and knack for writing engaging, well-researched content? If so, I’d love to hear more about you.
My name is Katie, and I’m the co-founder of GreenActiveFamily. From first getting pregnant to learning how to parent my now almost-one-year-old, I’ve been shocked at the types of chemicals and materials companies put in children’s products. I started GreenActiveFamily to help other parents make informed purchasing decisions when it comes to buying products for their baby’s nurseries.
Our mission is to be the number one resource on the internet for parents who want to raise green babies. This is not your typical “write x number of words of unique content about this keyword” writing gig. We want writers who are going thoroughly research topics and develop ideas fully.
Maybe you’ll need to reach out to a company to clarify the marketing copy on their website. Or track down industry experts for a quote. Maybe you’ll need to create a catchy acronym to help parents remember a concept. Or search for parents to ask them what they thin.
If going the extra mile and creating original thought is your standard operating procedure, keep reading. If doing the bare minimum is more your speed, no worries, but this isn’t the gig for you.
We’re looking for someone who loves writing, and takes a ton of pride in it. We’re looking for someone who’s happy to dig into the details of research, including reading peer reviewed research. We’re looking for someone who’s willing to find out what else is out there on any given topic, and create a piece of content that’s lightyears ahead.
- Produce a minimum of one extremely high-quality blog post per week, possibly more.
- Consistently exceed editorial quality standards, with minimal spelling and grammar mistakes.
- Follow AP style consistently.
- Contribute to internal systems and processes related to researching, writing and editing.
- Deliver accompanying copy for social media and (possibly) email in the future.
- Support the creation of additional content for articles as needed, such as copy for illustrations, tables comparing products, screencasts, etc.
- Understand how to create exceptional content, as demonstrated by past experience creating exceptional content. If you only have one clip to share with us, we still want to talk, as we’re very open to hiring writers with limited experience but a willingness to learn.
- Attention to detail.
- Native English or near-native speaker with impeccable written English.
- Strong research skills, including an ability to use Google Scholar to find supporting research. Being able to understand scientific articles at a high level would be an asset.
- A sense of ownership and responsibility.
- Ability to work across virtual teams.
- The ability to continually improve quality and systems.
- For the right writer, this can develop into a long-term freelance gig.
- Pay per word compensation. Please indicate your expected rate per word when getting in touch.
- Byline – we’ll publish the content with your name on it, and hope it’s an opportunity for someone to develop their writing portfolio.
- We won’t be jackasses. No unpaid trials. No chasing us for payment. This site is new, but we have hired writers for other sites before and pay promptly. If you’ve been burned in the past and are weary about contributing to a new site, we can provide a reference or two.
How to Apply:
- Send an email to greenactivefam[email protected] with the subject line “writer intro.”
- In the email, introduce yourself!
- Include a link to one writing clip that you think best exemplifies your writing chops. If you don’t have a published clip, feel free to send a link to a Google doc where you have your best writing.
- Please be sure to let us know your rates.
- It’d be helpful to know where you’re based for timezone purposes.