Short on space and wondering whether choosing one of the many cribs with storage underneath could help? We’ve rounded up the best baby crib models with storage drawers on the market and done the research, so you don’t have to.
Babyletto Mercer 3-in-1 Crib with Drawer Underneath
Karla DuBois Baby Oslo Convertible Crib with Drawer
After considering a number of popular baby cribs with storage underneath them, we think the Babyletto Mercer is the best for most families. If you need a baby crib for a small space but don’t want to compromise on safety, aesthetics, and functionality, the Mercer will give you some extra storage with a large under crib trundle drawer.
We love that this crib is eco-friendly, non-toxic, and low-profile. With ample storage for sheets and PJs, it still meets the strictest safety standards and it looks great! By choosing a crib from a known and large brand like Babyletto, you’ll also have your pick of coordinating accessories and nursery furniture, too. We also love that Babyletto makes its own non-toxic crib mattresses, so you can be sure of a snug fit.
We considered the following baby cribs with storage drawers during our research:
- Babyletto Mercer 3-in-1 Crib with Storage Drawer – Our winner and pick for most families. The Mercer is a 3-in-1 convertible baby crib with a large trundle drawer for storage. Made from pine and MDF. Conversion kit included; Greenguard certified.
- Karla Dubois Baby Oslo Convertible Crib with Drawer – A 3-in-1 convertible baby crib made from solid hardwood (no MDF), this crib has a trundle drawer with interior divider for storage. Conversion kit sold separately; Greenguard certified.
- Davinci Piedmont 4-in-1 with Storage Drawer – A 4-in-1 convertible baby crib made from pine and MDF, this crib will convert to a full size bed for toddlercon and has an under crib drawer. Toddler conversion kit included / full-size kit sold separately; Greenguard certified.
- Carter’s By Davinci Colby Crib with Trundle Drawer – One of the most affordable baby cribs on our list, conversion kits for this 4-in-1 are sold separately. Made from pine and recycled fiberboard, Colby cribs have a a trundle drawer for storage space basics.
- Davinci Asher – A 3-in-1 convertible crib with storage, the under crib drawer on the Asher has metal glides for easier opening and closing and more convenient storage space. Made from pine and MDF. Toddler conversion kit included; Greenguard certified.
- Dream on Me Addison Crib – A 5-in-1 convertible baby crib, the shallow under crib drawer is good for basics. Conversion kits are sold separately; this one doesn’t offer Greenguard certification.
- Graco Hadley – The Hadley is a 4-in-1 convertible baby crib with an under crib storage space drawer. JPMA certified; full-size conversion kit sold separately.
What are the Best Cribs with Storage Drawers?
Best Overall: Babyletto Mercer 3-in-1 Crib with Drawer
- Conversion Mode: 3-in-1
- Material: natural New Zealand pine wood and TSCA compliant MDF for trundle drawer
- Dimensions: 53,875″L x 30″D x 35″H
- Weight: 74 lbs
- Color: white and white/gray
Babyletto Mercer crib is available in four different mattress height levels, which provides complete safety and comfort to your baby. Other cribs by established brands might seem cheaper at first glance, but they do not grow with your baby due to the matter of them having a fixed mattress position. It means that you’re forced to buy more expensive upgrades every once in a while or have to face trouble changing it as time passes by.
The deep drawer underneath the crib will provide enough space for you to store your baby’s belongings without difficulty compared to other singles with drawers (4-inch depth compared with 3-inch). The drawer will open up, revealing two separate parts; however, it might be hard to stack items inside because the width is narrow. But if you plan on storing just some easy-to-reach small blankets or diapers – go ahead!
Babyletto’s modern-chic Mercer crib cuts down conversion time in half and offers several different finishes that make it easily adaptable to just about any design scheme. To convert Mercer crib to toddler bed, one only needs to switch out the front guardrail with the smaller one. To go from crib to daybed, remove the guard rail. The slatted design gives off a retro flair, unlike rounded spindles found on other Babyletto designs.
The Mercer crib was built to last. It is lead and phthalate safe with a non-toxic finish, meets ASTM international safety standards, and exceeds the U.S. CPSC safety standards.
- The toddler bed conversion kit is given with the product
- Eco-conscious design
- Adjustable mattress support
- Lack of different finishes
- Lack of solid divider between the drawer and the mattress
- Dents easily
Best Solid Wood: Karla DuBois Baby Oslo Convertible Crib with Drawer
- Conversion Mode: 3-in-1
- Material: Poplar Wood
- Dimensions: 54″ L x 33″ W x 39.25″ H
- Weight: 89 lbs
- Color: moon grey/white, dark wood/white, and taupe/white.
We love the crisp, clean look of this baby crib and that it has a non-toxic, water-based finish. The drawers on the bottom are a bonus, perfect for storing all sorts of baby clothes and paraphernalia you’ll need to keep on hand while your infant gets ready for bed.
The best part is that this particular model doesn’t have a single corner piece of enclosed space where small items might get stuck and mold or grow mildew over time. Instead, it has two large storage drawers, so there are more places for your baby to store their mind-boggling number of blankets and sets of pajamas!
Even better, this baby crib is free from chemicals like lead paint and phthalates! It’s Greenguard Gold certified, too, so you know you won’t be exposing your little one to any harmful chemicals while they slumber.
- Non-toxic material
- Ample storage space with double drawer
- It opens on all four sides
- Need to buy toddler conversion kit separately
- It is bulky
- Assembly takes a lot of time
Karla Dubois Oslo Mattress Recommendations Our top mattress recommendations are the Naturepedic Classic, Naturepedic Breathable, and the Newton Baby crib mattress. The Lullaby Earth Wisp and Breeze are great choices that should also work in this crib!
Best for Lasting Until College: Davinci Piedmont
- Conversion Mode: 4-in-1
- Material: New Zealand Pine and MDF
- Assembled dimensions: 58″ long x 31″ width x 42″ high
- Assembled weight: 67 lbs
- Color: espresso, slat, and whitey
DaVinci Piedmont is the only bed you’ll need to buy your child. It will grow with your child, so it saves parents the hassle and money of having to purchase multiple beds as their little one grows up. DaVinci Piedmont’s many functions include an infant crib, a toddler bed, and a full-size adult bed.
This four-level adjustable mattress support offers flexibility for years to come. You need to start with the highest setting for a newborn and then gradually lower it down as your baby grows. Placing the sleeping baby into her crib is safer because there’s less of a chance you’ll wake them up when lowering them down.
The Piedmont crib is an excellent pick for short parents who have trouble reaching high crib rails (34.8 inches tall). It doesn’t offer the most height compared to other convertible cribs on the market, but we’ve seen taller models that aren’t as steady as this one.
An under-crib drawer is also an excellent addition for any modern family. A trundle drawer is a great addition. It has enough space for holding various items, and when you place it under the crib, you will be activating otherwise unused space without damaging the mattress that lies above. Because of its location under the bed, trundle drawers are easy to look after, making them a fantastic choice for saving space.
- The toddler bed safety guardrail is given with the product.
- A large under crib storage drawer
- The drawer slides in and out easily
- Sturdy crib
- A lack of color assortment
- Many parents reported it’s hard to assemble
Best on a Budget: Carters by Davinci Colby Crib with Trundle Drawer
- Conversion Mode: 4-in-1
- Material: New Zealand Pine and recycled wood fiberboard
- Dimensions: 55.75″ L x 29.75″ W x 35.50″ H
- Weight: 60 lbs
- Color: white and grey
Carter’s by Davinci Colby 4-in-1 Convertible Crib is available in two colors, white and gray. It’s the only mini crib with a drawer that converts into an elegant full-size bed. The toddler rail for safe sleep is included when selecting a conversion kit to convert the crib into a toddler bed.
Furthermore, you can convert it into a daybed or full-sized bed with the included conversion kits and mattress support! Carter’s has manufactured this 4 in 1 convertible crib using high-quality materials and is known for its safety features. The trundle drawer offers storage space for your child’s toys, linens, baby clothes, and more!
The whole crib is sturdy enough to accommodate babies up to 50 pounds, and it comes with a 10-year warranty from the brand as well!
- Optional toddler bed safety guardrail
- Four-level mattress support
- It takes up any standard mini crib mattress
- Durable crib
- Extra costs for a toddler bed safety guardrail
- Lack of color choices
- Conversion Mode: 3-in-1
- Material: New Zealand Pine and MDF
- Assembled dimensions: 56.5″ L x 30.1″ W x 35.9″ H
- Assembled weights: 81 lbs
- Colors: hazelnut, slate, white
Inspired by the coastal cottage interior design style, the DaVinci Asher 3-in-1 Convertible Crib displays charming beadboard details in each of its three main panels. The functional two-drawer storage space at the bottom of this crib is ideal for tucking away clothes, blankets, and other necessities to keep them all within easy reach.
Additional features such as the slats on this crib side offer ventilation and security while keeping noise levels to a minimum. The DaVinci Asher 3-in-1 Convertible Crib can convert into a toddler bed with a platform and wheels, nightstand, and eventually even into a daybed with the purchase of an optional conversion kit.
- Solid, stylish, and sturdy crib.
- Adequate storage space
- Non-toxic finish
- Better options are in the market
- Easily dented and scratch
- Conversion Mode: 5-in-1
- Material: New Zealand Pinewood
- Dimensions: 54″ L x 33″ W x 44″ H
- Weight: 49 lbs
- Colors: Black, Cherry, Espresso, Mystic Grey, Natural, Navy, Storm Grey, White
The Dream On Me Addison 5-in-1 Convertible Crib is an eight-piece set. The design will match many room decors and themes. While you have so many options to choose from, it allows you the ability to transform your baby’s nursery with little hassle.
This crib could be an excellent option for those who like traditional style over modern trends, but it might not be the first choice for those who enjoy the contemporary style. The Dream On Me Addison 5-in-1 Convertible Crib can convert into a toddler bed, daybed, or full-sized adult bed by purchasing conversion kits separately – which is a superb feature for future use!
- Sturdy frame
- Adjustable mattress support system
- Easy to assemble
- Tools for assembly is included
- There is no cover for the area where the bolts go in
- Easily dented and scratch
- Different prices for different colors
- Conversion Mode: 4-in-1
- Material: Combination of solid wood and wood composite
- Assembled dimensions: 54.88″ L x 29.92″ W x 39.84″ H
- Assembled weight: 66 lbs
- Color: white, espresso, and pebble grey
Practicality and safety are the overriding design characteristics of a Graco crib, an affordable choice for a budget-conscious parent. The inexpensive 4-in-1 convertible Graco Hadley crib converts from a baby crib into a toddler bed.
It has two different daybed options with a matching bed frame or an optional headboard and footboard. Plus, it comes with a spacious drawer underneath that is split so clothing, blankets, toys, and diapers can be stored at easy reach of both mom and baby.
- Adjustable mattress support
- All required safety standards
- Sturdy crib without dropping sides
- It does not specify the material.
- Drawers don’t run the whole width of the bed.
Crib With Storage Underneath Buying Guide
Families living in a small space, without a lot of storage, should consider buying a crib with under crib storage. It also works well for families living in larger homes, but with small nurseries.
While under crib drawers won’t solve all your storage problems, it’s one of those features that’s handy for basics that you might need in a pinch after an overnight blowout – clean sheets, a clean mattress protector pad, and clean pyjamas, for example, and maybe a few bedtime books, too.
Crib safety is always top of mind – as it should be. Buy from a credible manufacturer, and ideally choose a non-toxic crib that’s made from a safe material, like solid wood, and a low VOC finish. Some babies will literally chew on the sides of their crib to test out their teeth (and boundaries), and you don’t want them chewing on toxic paint.
Having Greenguard Gold certification means the crib has been tested for 360+ VOC and over 10,000 toxic chemical emissions. Greenguard Gold certified means a product is safe to use indoors with sensitive populations, such as babies.
Also be sure the crib has a fixed side, not a drop side. Drop side baby cribs are banned in the United States because they’ve been associated with injuries and even death of some children. Despite the ban there may still be some drop-side baby cribs out there on classified sites or at garage sales. When it comes to where your baby sleeps, it’s safest to buy new, rather than saving on a used crib mattress or crib. Given how much time your baby will spend sleeping, this isn’t the place to skimp.
In addition to Greenguard certification, look for products approved by the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association (JPMA) and the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM). This will ensure your crib meets the highest standards in the US.
CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission) guidelines regulate the distance between the slats on all baby cribs sold in the US. The space between each slat should be no more than 2 ⅜ inches (at the time of writing).
As with any baby sleep environment, there are a number of simple rules you should follow to ensure your baby’s safety.
- Keep the crib bare; don’t use pillows or quilts. You can start introducing blankets and a toddler pillow once your baby is around 2 years of age, but never in a crib – only once they’ve transitioned to a toddler bed.
- Make sure the crib mattress is the correct size so there are no gaps between it and the crib sides. The Canadian government recommends a gap no larger than 1 3/16 inches (3cm) between the mattress and crib, whereas the US CPSC recommends no more than two fingers width gap between the crib and mattress.
- Assemble the crib according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Don’t use cribs with storage that have been modified in any way, have any broken parts or are older than 10 years.
- Keep the crib away from all electrical cords and window blind cords.
- If buying second hand, check the CPSC recall lists first.
Adjustable Mattress Height
Look for a crib with adjustable mattress height – believe us, this will be a huge back saver for you, as you bend over the crib to lift your baby in and out!
Being able to adjust the mattress height to either 3 or 4 different levels protects parents. It also prevents growing and increasingly active babies from climbing out of their cribs with storage.
Crib mattress height should start at the highest level for a newborn. Gradually lower it one level as your baby can roll over, sit up, and stand.
Consider what kinds of things you will be keeping in the drawers underneath. Will you have enough storage space?
My crib draw stores extra bedding, pyjamas, bedtime storybooks and sleep sacks.
Worth noting, many of the big brands use MDF in their crib drawer construction. Compared to solid wood, MDF just isn’t that durable. Indeed, many reviews of these cribs with storage include comments from disappointed customers referring to the lack of craftsmanship and quality of the drawer in particular.
I think it’s important to set expectations here – these storage drawers aren’t meant for heavy duty, everyday storage, but rather as a place to keep a few essentials that you need to access occasionally.
They also generally aren’t great for storing stuff your older baby or toddler will want to access, as the drawers can be a bit finicky to pull open and push close.
If you know what you’re getting with under crib storage, you’re more likely to be happy with your purchase.
Consider whether you want to buy a convertible crib or not, and whether the crib you choose is well-constructed enough to last long into the future.
If you’re currently in your “forever home” and your child will have the same bedroom for years to come, it may make sense to invest more in a quality piece of furniture that can last into the toddler and childhood years. Convertible features are quite slick and can be more economical in the long run.
If you see yourself moving a few years, you may want to get something that will last through babyhood, and then purchase a new piece of furniture when it’s time for a toddler bed. If this is the case, it may make sense to go for a cheaper crib made from lower quality material, since you don’t expect to use it beyond a few years.
A note about terminology here: a 3-in-1 convertible converts to a toddler bed and a daybed; a 4-in-1 convertible crib converts to a toddler bed, daybed, and full size bed.
For many parents, decorating the nursery is one of the funnest ways to pass the long days of waiting for their baby to arrive. And stylish cribs can serve as the icing on the cake for a beautifully decorated space.
If you’re planning a cohesive nursery scheme, consider buying a crib that has matching nursery furniture, such as a changing table, a rocking chair, a chest of drawers, etc.
A Quick Tip About Buying Online
These days, most parents buy their nursery furniture online. It saves time and is so much easier. When we were waiting for our baby, we bought almost everything online in one fell swoop.
However, buying large pieces of furniture online comes with the risk of receiving a damaged item. Indeed, there are multiple stories on Amazon of customers receiving damaged cribs or cribs with missing pieces – this happens across all brands.
When you receive any sort of baby furniture such as cribs, a changing table, etc., unbox it right away. Check for physical damage, ensure all pieces and screws are present. Ideally, set it up right away too, so you know it’s all in tip top condition. And if it’s not, you have time to return it or ask for replacement pieces.
And most importantly – don’t throw out the box until you’re sure it’s all okay!
Making a DIY crib with Storage
A DIY crib is a practical and economical way to set up a safe and sound sleeping place for your baby. It doesn’t cost much, and you can adapt it to your needs and desires.
If you have decided to make a crib, you first need to determine what kind of material you want to use. The best material is wood, but many moms prefer iron bars or iron frames. We don’t recommend you use iron, as it’s not safe for your baby.
The next step is to choose the size and design of your crib. It can be a simple bed, a small cradle, or an elegant and roomy crib. You can build a lovely and functional crib for your baby in less than a week.
Before you start, take accurate measurements of the area where you want to place the crib. You need to make a list of materials you need, such as a queen-size mattress, a two by the 4-inch board, and some plywood. Your board and plywood should be cut according to your measurements.
You will also need some nails, a drill, and some screws. You should put the head and the footboard together with your nails and screws. Next, put the sides together and nail your slats to the side panels. You can set the wheels in place afterward.
Then it would be best to decide how to make a crib with Storage. To do this, you can make it in two ways – either you can attach a small box to the crib or take a box of the same size and attach it to the crib.
In considering all the above cribs and features, the Babyletto Mercer is the best crib with storage underneath in our opinion.
It’s modern, low-profile and sleek design is the perfect addition to any contemporary nursery. And Babyletto combines style with safety brilliantly. This company really ticks all the boxes with regard to certifications, and is transparent about materials and standards. The under crib storage is fair, while the crib itself takes up less room than its counterparts. The price is just right and it comes with the toddler conversion kit, so it should last you for quite a few years.
For the best value for money crib with storage, the 4-in-1 Carters by Davinci Colby Crib is a good choice. This range of nursery furniture is a collaboration between DaVinci and Carter’s, a well known and trusted baby brand.
Another notable mention has to go to the Karla Dubois Oslo for being the only crib that we reviewed made from hardwood rather than pine or composite. If you’re looking for a completely green and non-toxic option (not to mention, beautiful, and with a fair amount of storage), the Oslo is a great choice!